How to Make the Perfect Chihuahua Christmas Dinner
Turkey & Lamb with Crispy Honeyed Parsnips.
Sweet Potato Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting
You want your chihuahua to enjoy Christmas dinner with the family, but sharing the feast from the table is fraught with problems as a lot of the ingredients in the traditional Christmas dinner will be poisonous for your dog. You can read more about what your chihuahua can’t eat from your Christmas dinner. Read about Christmas foods your chihuahua can’t eat.
We have put together a two course chihuahua Christmas dinner that will have your chi drooling and wishing it was Christmas every day. So ditch the dry, unappealing kibble and give your chihuahuas a tasty Christmas dinner they will love.
Everything here is make ahead so you are not extra busy on the day. You can also freeze any extra.
The Perfect Chihuahua Christmas Dinner
This is a delicious dinner that is full of awesome ingredients. Tender turkey drumstick and lambs liver. Brussels sprouts and carrots cooked slowly in the slow cooker so they are tender and easy to digest and a side of honeyed parsnips to add some extra crispy crunch.
This recipe will make enough food to last around 3 days.
If I was making this as an everyday food I would also add the necessary supplements like bone meal and salmon oil.
- 800 grams Turkey Drumstick
- 400 grams Lambs Liver
- 1 tsp Cider Vinegar
- 250 grams Brussel Sprouts
- 200 grams carrots
- 150 grams Parsnip
- 1.5 tsp Honey
- 1.5 small Sweet Potato
- 128 grams Self Raising flour
- 32 grams Porridge oats
- 32 grams Butter (Unsalted is best for your dog)
- 2 small Eggs
- 100 ml milk or water
- 200 grams Cream Cheese (I use lactose free)
- 60 grams Greek yogurt (plain)
- Chop up the sprouts and carrots (no need to peel) but discard the tops.Place the drumstick, liver, brussel sprouts and carrots into the slow cooker. (No need to chop up the liver it’s easier once its cooked.) Drop in a splash of cider vinegar if you have some. Put the lid on the pot and cook on low overnight.
- Once it has cooked take out the meat and remove any bones. Chop the meat into chihuahua bite size pieces. Place it in a bowl.
Remove the brussel sprouts and carrots from the slow cooker and chop or mash them. Mix them into the bowl with the meat.
Add a couple of spoons of the yummy gravy.
- Slice up the parsnips length ways, drizzle a little oil and some honey. Cook them in the oven or under the grill until they are crispy and golden brown.
- Once this has cooled put it in the fridge.
Sweet Potato Muffin
- Peel then grate the sweet potato
- Mix the flour, sweet potato, and porridge oats into a bowl
- Melt the butter and let it cool
- Beat the eggs in a separate container, then add in the butter and honey
- Mix into the main bowl
- Add some milk or the water until you have the consistency you require
- To make the muffins, I stole some paper source pots from a well known burger bar and dived the mixture up. But you could use any tin and cut the cooked sponge into squares.Cook at 180 degrees for about 15mins or until it has cooked through.
- Mix up the cream cheese and the yogurt and spoon onto the top of the muffin.
One meal serving of the main meal should be around 30-50 grams depending on the size of your chihuahua. We divide our dogs daily allowance up into 3 So they get 3 small meals a day. The muffins are treat for Christmas and is not something they should have every day. I would cut the muffin up as it is still quite large in relation to your chihuahua.
We have a range of everyday recipes if you are interested in home cooking for your chihuahua. It’s fun and much better for your chihuahua than dry kibble. Read what’s the best food for your chihuahua